August 21, 2013

Binder for American Girl Doll

See my other School tutorials

What you need

  • cardboard (chip board or sturdy cereal box)
  • wrapping paper 
  • Elmer's glue
  • 3 jump rings 5/16" diameter (got mine in the Jewelery dept at Walmart in a multi-size pack)
  • silver wrapping paper and cereal box or a can of coke
  • hot glue gun
  • self adhesive clear vinyl cover (optional)

How to make the binder

I found this great tutorial where a miniature binder is made. I adjusted it to AG Doll size and made some modifications.

1.  Cut the following from the cardboard
         2x    3"x 3 3/4"
         1x    1/2" x 3 3/4"

2. Cut a rectangle 8" x 5" from wrapping paper and glue cardboard onto it.
    Leaving 1/8" gap between the spine and the sides.

3. Cut corners and glue sides up


4. Cut a rectangle 6 3/4" x 3 11/16" from wrapping paper and glue on inside

5. After glue has dried you can cover it with clear self adhesive vinyl to protect it.
    This is optional. 

6. Cut a strip 3/8" x 3 1/4" card board and cover with silver wrapping paper
    (or use a coke can instead of the silver covered cereal box.
     When cutting open the coke can be very careful, edges are extremely sharp)
    Cut corners off

7. Use hot Glue gun to glue jump rings onto piece from step 5, opening of jump rings facing up.
    My jump rings were 1 3/8" apart with the middle one centered.

8. Glue either in spine or on back part. I glued mine onto back part to make sure my pages
    weren't falling out when I closed the binder, but you could push the jump rings closed
    to prevent that from happening.



See my tutorial on school exercise sheets that fit in the binder.


You are done !!!

Return to School tutorials

6 comments:

  1. can you send me the silver spine

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is ADORABLE!! I think I am going to make this now!! You could also use those rings that are on camisoles or dress slips. They would be really easy to get and you would have a whole cami to use for something!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where did you find you dainty print wrapping paper x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was Walmart, but it was quite a few years ago. Scrapbook paper would work too and there you would have lots of options for smaller print.
      Have fun.

      Delete