June 26, 2013

Hospital Stethoscope for American Girl Doll



What you need

  • 9" wire (16 gauge)
  • 9" long small diameter black wire tubing shrink wrap for diameter of wire
  • hot glue gun
  • silver paint 

How to make the stethoscope

1. Bend middle of wire half way around a glass or something with an approx diameter of 2"

2. Cut 5" of the shrink wrap and thread on wire, centering it in the bottom.

3. Bend both ends 90 inwards
 

4. Add a glop of hot glue to both bend ends and roll with fingers to smoothly coat all around

5. For the chest piece create 1 big glop around 3/4" diameter and a smaller glop around
   1/2" in diameter  (you can always cut them to size when they have cooled off)

6. After the glops have cooled off put some glue in the center of the big glop and let cool

7. Cut a 1" piece of wire and glue the small glop onto the big glop with the wire in between

8. Cut a 4" piece of shrink wrap and and make a small cut accross

9. Glue around bend in head piece
 

10.Glue little wire into the other end

11. You can paint the ear pieces black and the chest piece silver if you like


You are done !!!


See also on how to make a hospital gown and a syringe for your American Girl Doll

22 comments:

  1. Where did you get the tubing from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had it at home, but I would have to assume you could find shrink tubing at ACE Hardware or HomeDepot or any other hardware or electronics store.
      If anybody bought some, please let us know where you got it.

      Delete
    2. Electrical supply, hardware store, Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

      Delete
  2. You should make dog stuff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A vet section is on my list, just need to find the time. Supplies are already bought. Keep checking back :-)

      Delete
  3. I'm not allowed to use hot glue. Would Elmer's glue work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should. You will have to wait longer for it to dry completely

      Delete
    2. No, Elmer's Glue would not work since it won't hold its shape while drying. You could use cardboard circles instead. To get the thickness you might have to glue multiple layers together. Otherwise you could use 2 different sized buttons and glue/sew those together.

      Delete
  4. When I made one awhile back, I used a small clear rubber suction cup ( for hanging items on a window) for the bell section. Ran a small wire thru the top of it and attached it to my tube. I used a thin nail, heated, to make the hole. Didn't need to paint it. You do nice work. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Any ideas for a blood pressure cuff?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you shrink the tubing? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you ever do any vet items?

    ReplyDelete
  8. What gauge wire do you use ? You don't say. Sorry, this is 6 years later but I just found your Blog. Love your ideas. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used a 16 gauge wire. Thanks for pointing that out. I have added the gauge to the supply list. Have fun.

      Delete
  9. Can you tell me what size heat shrink tubing you used and did you shrink it? Please let me know, my email address is mizsew56@hotmail.com. Sorry just found your post. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can you tell me what size heat shrink tubing you used and did you shrink it? Please let me know, my email address is mizsew56@hotmail.com. Sorry just found your post. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately it has been such a long time since I did this that I can't remember. I would recommend just check your wire size and go slightly larger.
      Sorry for not being able to help further

      Delete